Have you noticed that some people have a photo next to their name when they leave a comment on a website? Sometimes, it’s a picture of the actual person. Or it might be a brand’s logo. Other times, it can be a generic person icon.
These pictures are called Gravatars, and if you have an email address, you can easily create one. And in WordPress Wednesday Tip 34, we’re going to show you step-by-step how to set up your Gravatar.
But first . . . Why is Having a Gravatar Important?
There are many reasons why you should have a Gravatar, but 2 of the biggest reasons to create a Gravatar are that:
1. It helps you establish your personal brand and online presence. People love putting faces to names and when they start seeing yours on the sites they visit, they’ll start to recognize you.
2. It helps you build trusting relationships with the members of your target audience. They’ll see you as a real-live human and be more inclined to follow you.
So now that you know why it’s important, let’s show you how to set up your Gravatar.
WordPress Wednesday Tip 34: How to Set Up Your Gravatar
1. Log in to WordPress.
2. Next, hover over the greeting and click ‘Edit My Profile’.
3. Scroll down to the ‘About Yourself’ section. Right click on Gravatar and click on ‘Open link in new tab’.
4. Click on the Gravatar tab that just opened and click the blue ‘Sign in’ button.
5. In the next page, click on ‘Create an Account’.
6. Next, enter the email address that is associated with your WordPress user. Then create a username and password. Click the blue ‘Continue’ button.
7. Go to your email account and open the confirmation email from WordPress.com. The subject will be ‘Activate [Your Username].
8. Click the blue ‘Activate Account’ button within the email’s body. A new page will open with a thank you message.
9. In the new page, click on the ‘Sign in to Gravatar’ button. You will be redirected back to the main Gravatar sign in page.
10. Click on the blue ‘Sign in’ button.
11. Then click on the ‘Add a new image’ link towards the bottom of the page.
12. Click on the particular method and add your image. (Although you can use a wide range of image dimensions, we find that 100 px x 100 px displays nicely.) Click ‘Next’.
13. Crop your image in the next screen. When finished, click the blue ‘Crop Image’ button. You will be taken to the Rating Setting page.
14. Choose a rating for your new Gravatar and click the blue ‘Set Rating’ button.
15. You will now be taken to your main Gravatar page and will see your new image in your profile.
16. Finally, your Gravatar will sync with your WordPress site. Usually, it doesn’t take long, but it’s important to know that it can take up to 24 hours.
Congratulations! You now know how to set up a Gravatar! See you around the internet!
Did you use this WordPress Wednesday tip to set up your Gravatar?
Say ‘Hi’ in the comments and let us put a face to your name!
Like WordPress Wednesday Tip 34: How to Set Up Your Gravatar?
You might also enjoy these helpful tips: